Reflective Essay

Kamar Ledgister

Writing for Engineering

Professor Adam Bubrow

December 13, 2018

Feeding the mine: My Journey in Writing For Engineering

If you are on WordPress probably you are reading my portfolio paper about my journey in Writing for Engineers. Writing for Engineering is a writing course that develop your writing skills, presentation skills and ability to work with others in group assignment. Throughout the semester we work on different writing assignment such as : proposal project, technical description, lab report, interview report, resume and cover. These assignment have developed my writing skills for the next stage of the writing career. These assignment are a part of class syllabus that are used  in course objectives to help developed students writing skills. These course objects are information literacy, citation, drafting reading, synthesis, audience and use of technology.

Writing for Engineering was unlike any other course that have taken this semester. We discuss the course objective that appear in syllabus this semester. These course objective have boarding my horizon on how I can improved my writing skills. Now I would like to explore the effect these writing objectives such as: information literacy, citation, drafting, collaboration, reading, synthesis, audience and use of technology have help me developed my writing skills for the future.

• Information literacy: using the City College of New York online library was very help for me to find material on specific topic that I am writing about which was useful for the paper.
  • Citation (APA style): using APA style citation have taught me how to site information from a source while giving credit to writer of source.
  • Drafting: learning how to organize information and ideas into sentence without losing the overall meaning of paragraph.
  • Collaboration: learning how compromise with others and valuing the opinion of others.
  • Reading: learning new content from technical communication textbook and research content have improve my knowledge on how to be better write a paper and to help increase my read.
  • Synthesis: learning how to combine ideas from my writing assignments have help me to simplify materials in more precise way to express thought.
  • Audience: be mindful of content that you are presenting to your peers and try let them be a part of writing experience for example writing thing that your peers would related to.
  • Use of technology: using blackboard, excel, powerpoint and website have assisted student in my opinion to gather and use content from different source to developed and enhance there writing skills.

The semester have been challenging one and I hope that course objective that I have learned will improve my writing for future writing project. Implementing these ideologies consistently in my writing can improve my writing and put me in the right path to be successful.