Cover Letter

Kamar Ledgister

952 Tilden Street

Bronx, NY.10469

917-946-5978

March 30, 2018

Human Resources

59-17 Junction Boulevard

Flushing, NY 11373

Dear Sir/Madam:

I have learned that the New York City Department of Environmental Protection has an open position for a Mechanical Engineering Intern in the Bureau of Engineering Design and Construction through the website Indeed.com. I am excited by the potential opportunity to design and construct a major water-related capital project because it will give me an understanding of how engineering impacts the everyday life of millions of NYC residents. The knowledge that I have gathered through academics, campus involvement and personal work have prepared me for this opportunity today.

• Academics. I am a third year student at City College of New York (CCNY). I transferred to CCNY from Bronx Community College with an Associate Degree in Engineering Science. Currently, I am taking courses in Computer Aided Design, Electric Circuits, Mechanics, Linear Algebra and Vector Calculus.
  • Campus Involvement. As a member of the STEM Club, I have gained experience in developing drones and circuit analysis. Also, I learned how to operate a 3D Printer at a College Science Fair. I am currently a member of the National Society of Black Engineers.
  • Personal Work. For years I have disassembled televisions, printers and cellphones then reassembled them. In addition, during my leisure time I like to assemble furniture and analyze the structure of drawbridges in the City.

These skills will be a tremendous asset to this position, and I would be excited to learn alongside fellow engineers in your agency. As I prepare for a career in Mechanical Engineering, I am looking forward to gaining vital experience that will help me in my career. Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to discussing more in person.

Sincerely,

Kamar Ledgister